Is live tracking a lost art?

1 reply [Last post]
assr
assr's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline

When the makers of A.S.S.R. were younger and thinner than they are now, recording a band was a process that began with recording a 'backing track.' There was essentially no other way to do it; no other way that people did do it, anyhow, whether your name was Pink Floyd or The Flying Tumbleweed Sisters.

Accordingly, the process required musicians who could not only play, but play together; vaguely in time to boot.

It's great that there's a resurgence of interest in valuing the vibe you can capture with a live band tracking session. But the truth is that because bands haven't 'needed' to record this way for the past twenty years the art of live tracking is, if not lost, something that does need to be worked on by today's Floyds and Tumbleweeds.

Got some helpful suggestions?

psheds
psheds's picture
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
tracking live

I love tracking live, at least for the drums and bass. Usually I use a scratch vocal to help with the arrangement, but in case I always use a good mic because sometimes the scratch vocal captures the moment best.

I don't have a control room or much isolation at all. Has anybody tried those microphone 'screens' like this one:

http://www.keyfax.com/index.php/primacoustic-voxguard-ambient-sound-atte...

I wonder how much bleed I would get if using one of those?
PS