Hands on hands off

3 replies [Last post]
assr
assr's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline

Do people find that having the physical presence of a console or controller actually changes the sound, feel, or style of a mix, or do they simply represent different styles of working?

moondog
moondog's picture
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
For me the physical console

For me the physical console or controller I work on becomes another instrument and an extension of myself. I can physically and psychologically connect with it. Those connections show up in the music mix. I've done it with software and a desk top and it just isn't the same. Call me old school, but, there's nothing like the physical touch of wires, buttons and sliders. I agree that they are simply different styles of working, but, they also produce a different sound. Not a better sound, just different; but a difference that I just can't get used too.

Moon Dog
moondogselpaso.com

gball
gball's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hmmm, I like the instrument

Hmmm, I like the instrument analogy of Moondog. In a way, I think that the console is another "time based effect"; because when I've got both hands on the faders I'm making small adjustments or combinations of adjustments in real time that I'm not sure I'd try or discover if I was clicking from track to track, or plugin to plugin. I think I am more "musical" on the console, and more the engineer inside the box.

I like the engineer part though. I like the ability to visualize an EQ curve say, and literally drag it where I think it out to be with the mouse. I think I've learned faster because of the box.

wajmartin
wajmartin's picture
User offline. Last seen 12 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
our current setup

Our studio located in the remote central UP has a Yamaha DM2000 V2 as its main console which has made a great improvement in workflow. We were working completely in the box using Nuendo 3 for the last two years and had been able to get quality recordings but at the cost of many hours of editing. By adding a console and building a new computer capable of 64 bit processing and large amounts of ram we have transformed the space into a warm and comfortable room.
But does it actually change the sound, feel, or style of our mixes? I do not think it does, and because I still do a lot of work at home completely in the box I will never loose the feel for it. Any mix is as personal a thing as how an artist performs. My goal is the same no matter what hat I wear, either as engineer, musician or producer, make great sounding recordings.
In my opinion the one thing a properly working console or controller can do is give back a little time and improve workflow.