EQ

4 replies [Last post]
RobCoates
RobCoates's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

What are typical frequencies do you tend to tweak when mixing to clear up mud and what type of EQs do you prefer (passive, colored, parametric etc.)?

assr
assr's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 days 8 hours ago. Offline
EQ chart

Nice question. We'll try to ask put this question to Alan if you don't manage to get through on the webcast yourself.

Stereotomy
Stereotomy's picture
User offline. Last seen 12 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Voice EQ

I have a partially similar question.. which frequencies do you boost or reduce when recording a female vocal? On my (little) experience I noticed that some EQ may or may not be needed and it depends on many factors, like voice, mic, room, style. Once I even felt that I needed to put a small notch probably due to the resonance of something in the studio (although the mic was of course directional). Is there any rule?
Giorgio, Italy

Giorgio Rizzarelli
http://www.youtube.com/APPfanChannel - Alan Parsons Project fan support
http://www.youtube.com/urbania70 - piano covers, mostly APP

Alan Parsons
Alan Parsons's picture
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
EQ on Muddyness

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your patience with this reply.

The rule is that there are no rules. "Mud" is usually associated with low frequencies. I generally prefer to use High pass filters rather than negative low frequency EQ. Works particularly well on muddy acoustic guitars. I used to love the Massenburg parametric but they are fairly rare. Pultecs even the plugins seem to work well. Frequency could be anywhere from 50Hz to 200Hz. I would be OK with a high pass setting on an individual track (not a whole mix) at 160Hz or so.

Alan

Rob,

Alan Parsons
Alan Parsons's picture
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Voice EQ

Hi Georgio,

Thanks for your patience with this reply.

Every voice is different so there are no rules.

I don't think I would necessarily think differently EQ-wise on a female vocal as I would to a male. If it sounds dull I would probably reach for a 10k shelf. If it sounds thick - I move the singer away from the mic rather than EQ. Notches are OK but make sure you're not missing anything. Excessive EQ at the top end can cause sibilance and you might need to de-ess.

Alan