#alanparsonslive Plug-ins on 2-track master

2 replies [Last post]
dbender
dbender's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you so much for doing this. I have a question about mixing. When I'm recording basic tracks adding tracks as I go, and then mix them, I've heard conflicting things about whether to put any plug ins on the 2-track master stereo out. Some say use as little as possible or nothing, else you're then doing mixing and mastering at the same time which is bad. But I like to add at least some EQ and compression and limiting so it sounds good as I record and add tracks, and then mix them into a final mix. What do you suggest, Alan?

Alan Parsons
Alan Parsons's picture
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I'd be inclined not to use

I'd be inclined not to use plugins on the mix buss until the final mix. All Eq compression and FX should work while recording - I'd be frightened to EQ the whole mix because it would be giving me a false impression of what's actually there. I don't think CDs will exist in 10 years - so it's important that technology exists in the near future to improve downloaded sound quality

Savino
Savino's picture
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Mixing

Are partially agree with alan. When I try to register on the sound as natural as possible with all its features so you do not use filters. during the mix using EQ only to eliminate or emphasize the critical frequencies or interesting.
The dynamics to balance the large dynamic range that may occur during registration.
Use a comp on the master bus controller just as dynamic.
The master level does not exceed the-3dB.

Savino Valerio
VS RECORDS