Studio in Basement

4 replies [Last post]
pbirdchat
pbirdchat's picture
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

I'm ready to begin sound proofing my studio. I know I need bass traps and absorption. Also Diffusion. How can I do this without going broke. And How do I know where to diffuse or absorb?

Darren

assr
assr's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Soundproofing

The company we worked with in the ASSR series - Auralex - offers not only a great range of products, they also offer a lot of help in terms of simple consultation, kits, plans etc.

A good idea is to note down your 'main' areas of concern, i.e. outside noise coming into your studio, sound coming 'out' of your studio and disturbing the neighbors, or really just the sound 'in' your studio?

If you are not overly worried about sound from or to outside then really it's just about making the room as 'true' and also as pleasant to work in as it can be.

This is a science you can certainly spends thousands and thousands on but a solution that a lot of people use are the Auralex Roominator kits that comprise bass traps, absorbers and diffusers. These, coupled with some rugs, or even bookshelves and books, maybe carpeting on a door etc, can create a space that will be perfectly usable without having to spend a fortune. You can get Auralex products through the Keyfax.com site as well as many others of course.

Professor Feather
Professor Feather's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Studio in A.S.S.R. series ...Live End Dead End from Auralex 101?

I was wondering ...was the studio built for the A.S.S.R. series built on the blueprints provided for a Live End/Dead End Room found on the Auralex website under Auralex 101?

"Music is the cup which holds the wine of silence
Sound is that cup, but empty
Noise is that cup, but broken." - Robert Fripp

Professor Feather
Professor Feather's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hidley-esque "Non-Environment" Room

Darren,
I think you might also enjoy this article from the "CitySoundProofing" website http://www.citysoundproofing.com/roomsing.html . This is an article by Tom Hidley - who was the creator (or one of the creators) of the "Non-Environment" room - called "How to Make a Room Sing for $3,500.00. Bear in mind that this article was written sometime back in the 1990's ...so allow for some inflation in that number. I can tell you that I had a small control room in a commercial condo out in Santa Fe, New Mexico where I applied the "flanking blanket" concept to a closet in front of my mix position. The wall at the back of the closet was shared (on the other side) with a beauty parlor. While the real purpose of the flanking blanket design is to pretty much use the force of any standing wave to destroy itself, the flanking blankets in that closet also worked very, very well to prevent any sound from being transmitted from my control room into the hair salon. I could crank up my monitors as loud as I might like - LOUDER than I could really stand to listen to them for long - without EVER upsetting the people in the business next door.

"Music is the cup which holds the wine of silence
Sound is that cup, but empty
Noise is that cup, but broken." - Robert Fripp

gswan
gswan's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
DIY traps

If you are going to build your own traps (and this is quite easy to do) then I'd recommend the Tontine Acoustisorb 3 product. I've used it in the mix room in about a dozen wall and ceiling traps and it really works well.