Laminate Flooring

3 replies [Last post]
IWR
IWR's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some input on flooring. Our studio has a concrete slab floor (not isolated) and we are planning on some type of wood flooring. Our budget is a bit limited as it will be a home/semi-professional studio. What are the drawbacks of using a commonly available laminate-type "wood" flooring? I know that using actual hardwood is probably prohibitively priced so we are looking into reaosnable options without sacrificing acoustics, if possible. Thanks, -Cal Kendall.

assr
assr's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Flooring

I'm not sure there are particular drawbacks to laminate flooring per se but you might want to look into isolating it somehow from the concrete beneath. Floating flooring where the floor is not in direct contact with the walls or concrete is definitely desirable. There is some good information on this on the Auralex website, who also offer some interesting 'de-coupling' systems as well as materials you can simply lay on top of the concrete.

B. Harrison
B. Harrison's picture
User offline. Last seen 11 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Laminate flooring on Concrete

Laminate flooring on Concrete slab is perfectly viable.
I've heard of many studio builders also applying stain directly onto the concrete - this can look very elegant.
An even cheaper alternative and also perfectly viable is Novilon or linoleum vinyl flooring -these can be had to look identical to laminate wood flooring or even ceramic tiling. I'll be using Novilon in my studio.

One thing you might want to check beforehand however, is moisture, particularly if your contemplating laminate, and especially if the slab is less than a year or so old. This can be done with a speciallized Cement Hygrometer, but can also be done by taking a sheet of plastic foil (Seran wrap is fine) about a foot square, and taping this sheet to the floor sealing all four sides. Leave it for about 24 - 48 hours an see if any condensation has formed under the plastic. If it has, this will have to be dealt with first.

Walk softly and carry a big USB stick

IWR
IWR's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Thnaks for the input(s).

Thanks for the input(s). Much appreciated. These replies helped me to verify my thoughts, as well as a little extra to consider! Thanks Again!