Where to start?

1 reply [Last post]
assr
assr's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

People probably spend more time and money on recording guitars than on any other instrument. From a bedroom acoustic guitar recorded into GarageBand to electric guitar amps, processors, processes, micing, modeling, even samples... the subject is both endless and endlessly challenging.

Even in a 50 minute stretch, A.S.S.R. only takes a bird's eye view and listen. We'd like this forum to become a place of continued exploration and experimentation. Tell us what you do, what you like, what you found helpful in this Section, what was missing!

peachsoju
peachsoju's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
What I've heard

I've read somewhere that I think it was Lynard Skynard used to lay their amps down and throw a few coats on them and record them that way. Marshall cabs have a step history of popular cabs. The early pinstripe ones that Hendrix used and a few others had that thick pinstripe grill cloth that shaved off some highs. Then next was basketweave and checker and so on. Each one a little more open than the previous. Point is that what sits between the speaker and the mic can make a huge difference also. A physical eq.
Read some other good info for home musicians. Put those extra mic stands to use and create a isolation box from thick blankets and mic stands. I read this also being done for a make shift vocal booth. Point is, with a little creativeness a feller can have some pro recorded sounds just using stuff you already have.